Saturday, July 14, 2012

Dolphy: Six Decades of Laughter and Inspiration


Last July 10, 2012, sad news came out and it was confirmed by long-time partner and Divine Diva, Ms. Zsa Zsa Padilla that the Philippines’ King of Comedy Dolphy died at the age of 83. Filipinos were shocked and suddenly gave condolences and prayers to his family through posting in social networking sites.




Rodolfo Vera Quizon Sr. or also known as Dolphy was born on July 25, 1928. He started in theatre, followed by radio, TV, and movies.


According to the people who had met and known him for years, he was a very humble person, a true friend, a caring father, a loving partner, and a talented artist. Comedians and other artists in Philippine entertainment industry looked up to him as a mentor, an idol, and an inspiration. Even simple citizens whom he helped said positive things about him. I listened to every person that the reporter/interviewer asked questions about him. I hadn’t heard any negative from them.   


When I was a kid, I remembered his role as Kevin Cosme in the sitcom titled ‘Home Along Da Riles’. I laughed with his punch lines, even when he laughed. Also, I watched his other sitcoms aired in ABS-CBN: ‘Home Along Da Airport’, ‘John En Shirley’, and ‘Quizon Avenue’. I never forget his recent movies ‘Dobol Trobol’ and ‘Father Jejemon’. I didn’t get to watch ‘John En Marsha’ and his other previous sitcoms and movies. But when I saw some clips, I smiled and laughed.


I cried when I saw breaking news on ABS-CBN around 8:30pm last July 10 that King of Comedy Dolphy passed away. Though I didn’t meet him or know him personally, I felt sad and posted tweets to give condolences to Quizon Family. Before I had slept, I prayed for his soul few hours after he lost his breath. 


He played unforgettable roles as John Puruntong and Kevin Cosme. He’s a versatile actor, a handsome musician, a comedy legend, a true inspiration, a kind-hearted idol, a graceful dancer, and a national treasure. Though he hadn’t given yet a National Artist award, indeed he is a true national artist that remains in every Filipino’s hearts forever because he inspires people through his smiles, laughter, and contribution in the Philippine entertainment industry for 60 years. He engaged more than half of his life in showbiz. What a big loss in the industry.


Tito Dolphy, thank you for your smiles and laughter. You inspired people like me to live happy even though problems suddenly went right away and trying them to solve it in the right time. I know you’re happy in heaven with God. You are now a good angel who will guide us until the end. We will miss you. 


Rodolfo Vera Quizon Sr."Dolphy"July 25, 1928 - July 10, 2012"King of Comedy"




No comments:

Post a Comment