Sunday, January 15, 2012

My KPop Favorites

Korean pop (Kpop) music is in demand nowadays. A lot of artists from different entertainment labels are popular not only in Asia but also Europe and America. I was still a Chinese pop (Cpop) fan that’s why before I didn’t like this kind of music. Few months later, I started to like it because of both TV and internet. But I realized that it was already 3 years since I liked a song from a Korean superstar. Here are my 7 favorite Kpop artists including the origin and reason why I liked them.
1.       Rain

I saw him in Korean drama hit Full House with actress Song Hye Kyo which was aired in the Philippines. I’m Coming was the first song I heard and first video I saw. Other songs I liked are Love Story and Love Song. I also watched his Hollywood movies titled Speed Racer and Ninja Assassin. He’s currently serving in the army to serve his duties for the country. I’ll wait for his comeback in Korean entertainment industry.

2.       BoA

When I was watching Channel V Asia, I first saw a video entitled Eat You Up. I thought she was a Japanese singer. But I found out that she’s a Korean who was popular in Japan, Taiwan, and even America. I liked her more when I saw her videos such as Energetic and Hurricane Venus. In addition, I also found out that she is one of the artists under the label management SM Town Entertainment since 1997. Hope she will be a famous actress in Hollywood after the premiere of Step Up 4 this year.

3.       2NE1

They’re the first Korean girl group that I like since they released their debut song Fire. One of the members is Dara Park who was famous in the Philippines because she won first runner-up in a talent search called Star Circle Quest in ABS-CBN. When she and other members went here last year for one-night Manila concert, she talked to her Filipino fans and said, “Na-miss niyo ba ako?” [Did you miss me?] I can’t believe she can still speak Tagalog. I hope she and the rest of 2NE1 members will be back in Manila for another concert.

4.       UKiss

This Korean male group sang Bingeul Bingeul. I noticed them when MYX VJ Chino Lui Pio interviewed them for Asia MYX special. I was surprised when three of its members can speak English and hosted a Korean music show called Pops in Seoul. Alexander was my bias because he can speak more than 5 languages. (Hope he’ll learn Tagalog soon.) But when I heard that he left the group to continue his studies, I understood that he prioritized education even though I felt sad. Now that I’m not a UKiss fan, still I recognize some members and somehow I still like their music.

5.       4Minute

“One, two, three, four, four, 4Minute girl…” was catchy but easy-to-remember one-liner from 4Minute’s debut song Hot Issue. I knew this group when they visited the Philippines and performed in a Sunday noontime musical variety show. I like their songs such as What A Girl Wants and I My Me Mine. Though 4Minute member Hyun-A released her song Bubble Pop and had a collaboration with label-mate and Beast member JS in Troublemaker, hope 4Minute’s music would be known worldwide.

6.       Super Junior

I consider this large scale group from SM Town Entertainment as world-class performers. I became a Filipino ELF because of them. My top three favorite members are Ryeowook, Siwon, and Sungmin. Aside from their song No Other, Mr. Simple is the best song I heard. Though I wasn’t able to watch their Super Show concert series, at least I witnessed their live performance in 2011 Mnet Asian Music Awards through Mnet’s YouTube channel. Though Heechul is in the army and Leeteuk enters the military this 2012, I’ll support them as a group and as individuals. Fighting!

7.       Girls’ Generation

“Bring the boys out!” They really brought the boys out. Nine female members gave their amazing performance at 2011 Mnet Asian Music Awards. I’ve seen the music video more than 50 times and I almost memorized and practiced their dance. Taeyeon is my favorite. Also, I like Jessica and Tiffany. But before I saw their video The Boys, Run Devil Run was the first video I watched from them. Well, I’m still hoping Girls’ Generation to visit the Philippines and hold a concert soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment