Sunday, April 1, 2012

F.R.I.E.N.D.S. From Past to Present


Schoolmates and classmates… I just met and knew them during school days. But after graduation, it seemed that they didn’t know me at all. They didn’t greet me and say hi along streets. I accepted them as my true friends. But in fact, they have fake faces. That’s why I was always alone.

I’ve become three-time sergeant-at-arms officer in primary classes and reached vice president in a high school organization; until I became college class president when I was in my third year. There were problems but some of them were solved through open forum and retreat. I forgave people who teased me and said negative words (several were below the belt) about me, both done directly and indirectly. Thank God that Twitter didn’t discover yet. But if it was discovered during my high school days, maybe I would be very controversial in terms of my personality and attitude towards them. Thus, I promise to myself that I wouldn’t attend any reunions from high school to college. I admit that high school wasn’t memorable but grade school was very meaningful.

They said high school was fun. For me, it wasn’t. Though I was popular for four years, I just took a risk in being friendly to my schoolmates. I played a role of a celebrity. It was cool that you have a lot of friends from freshmen to seniors, from four school years. The reason why I was famous in that time was my talent in singing and performing on stage. I received positive and negative comments from different people, even evil laughs from them. It’s true that you wouldn’t please anyone. So I just heard then ignored those negative and stayed positive. In the end, I continued performing on stage until I graduated. My purpose why I did that is I want to gain confidence on stage in front of many people who are watching me. The hardest part of my high school life was with my classmates. Though students didn’t shuffle, I mean the people who you’ve met in first year were the same people you’re with until graduation. I was often alone, no best friends and no group of friends. When there would be a group work, they wouldn’t accept me as their group mate. They said that I have no initiative. I was afraid that if I did the thing that was wrong, they would scold me. I cried that time. After graduation, they apologize for what they did. I was teary-eyed then forgave them though it’s hard to accept their late apologies.

College came. I met new friends, including an Indonesian and Korean classmates. Still, it was the same cycle. But this time, I was not popular in terms of performing onstage but some had known me because I was active in a number of organizations that I wanted to join. I became a student coordinator of our college student council in my sophomore year; then I became class president and class secretary in junior and senior years respectively. I joined a talent competition in my junior year and I received a score of 7 from three judges. Unfortunately I wasn’t a winner but at least I reached grand finals. Few of my classmates watched to support me. Two of them recorded my performance but when they played it in class few days after, I heard one who said the word “boo” a lot of time. That was not a support but that was an insult. After graduation, I didn’t mingle with them for the last time. I was disappointed. Though I expected that my college life would be more memorable than high school, it became worst.

In my junior year in college, I joined an international online forum. That time I almost gave up hope in meeting a person who would be my best friend. I didn’t expect that I would meet a girl who has a deep heart and understanding. Her name is Janella. I had no first impression on her but I had a strong feeling that we will become close friends. In fact, we’ve became best friends for almost two years. We call each other “Bessy”. We have a lot of similarities that’s why we’re perfect for each other as my best friend. I considered her as one of my sisters. Other girls who I also became my best friends were Gliselle, Aileene, Julie, and Therese.
Janella, Me, and Julie
Aileene, Therese, and Gliselle
If they were happy memories, they were bitter because of misunderstandings that turned into a big space. It happened exactly last year. I forgave her after she reached an average of at least 85% in first semester of her first year as my condition. Few months after, I observed her actions but still I was disappointed with what I’ve seen. It became worst when she went to my family residence without any alarm that she will drop by. I posted negative tweets in Twitter about what happened few hours ago. Before micro-blogging them, I made sure that no one from my followers’ list will react on my tweets by noting them to just ignore those. After that, I decided to cut our communication in all social media platforms. It was almost two months with no communication through phone message, calls, and social media but I know there would be a right time for us to talk face-to-face and forgive each other.

“Friends forever” and “friendship never ends” as they say. But I believe that “Know your true friends are” because I have true friends that I know they are always there for me. Best friends are my true friends that accept me who I am. They are very important in my life as I treasure them in my heart.

       

No comments:

Post a Comment